Saturday, November 21, 2009

Improved Apollo Tomato

Photobucket

Tomato: Improved Apollo

What: Yates Improved Apollo Seeds
Where: 3 x yogurt containers.
When: 22 November.

Sown in: Mixed Potting Soil
Fertiliser: Blood and bone.

Advertised Germination: 10-12 Days.
Actual Germination: 8-10 Days.

Advertised Maturity: 12-14 Weeks.
Actual Maturity: 28 weeks.

I thought I had saved a bunch of seeds from the previous Reggae Roma Tomato plant but despite searching high and low I couldn't find them at home and couldn't find any seedlings at the local nursery where I got the original plant, so I have decided to branch out and try another variety. "High Yielding" it says, but can it beat the 60 tomatoes I got from my first Reggae Roma?

2 December 2009

Photobucket

10 December 2009

Photobucket

I've moved the best two plants into two self-watering containers.

27 December 2009

Photobucket


Both of these plants suffered badly from a lack of sun combined with excess water, however I chopped them off and side shoots just might salvage them yet.

17 January 2010

Photobucket


This plant took off from side shoots several times only to die off again.

February 2010

Photobucket


I persisted however and ended up with some very messy main stems (that's a random Bok Choy plant on the right).

March 2010

Photobucket


I'm glad I stuck with this plant as although it it quite messy it has taken off in a big way in the last month and is starting to produce fruit.

10 April 2010

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one is now over 7ft tall and at last count had 50 tomatoes on the way.

29 April 2010

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I returned home from 10 days holiday to find this plant suffering heavily from being over-watered. I tried to salvage it but in the end I picked off all of the Tomatoes as the plant was on it's last legs so to speak. Even after all of the dramas this plant has been through I still managed to harvest just under 4kg of Tomatoes from it! I put all of the green tomatoes into a plastic bag with a ripe red apple and they all started to colour up nicely.

May 2010

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment